- The influence of fashion blogs has been evolving at a rapid rate…
- …Because of the soaring following of ‘it’ bloggers, whose popularity partly rests on the fact that they embody the idea that blogging is an easy route to celebrity for ordinary people ‘like you and me.’
- Bloggers are beginning to be positioned in the same category as stylists, makeup artists and photographers. Their style becomes desirable to imitate relative to their popularity, as do the brands/products they are seen wearing/using on their blogs. They therefore mould what the consumer will buy.
- As such, it has become common for companies to seek out fashion bloggers to endorse their brand, whether it be through web banners, sending free merchandise to be blogged about, collaborating with the bloggers to produce special segments, or using the bloggers themselves for campaigns. In short, they are being treated as the next generation of people who will be used for advertising. Some examples:
- Monki for Susie Bubble
- H&M for Hanneli Mustaparta
- Forever 21 for Bip Ling
- The fashion blogging industry is heavily reliant upon photography. Viewer interest is exacerbated by the quality and artistry of the bloggers’ photos. This association is evident in websites such as http://lookbook.nu wherein users post the camera model used to take their posted photograph.
- This accounts for the target consumer’s predilection towards high-quality DSLR’s or models of a similar calibre. Leading DSLR manufacturers include Canon, Nikon and Sony.
- To encourage sales of Olympus’ new model, Olympus Slick, a handheld digital camera (imaginary product).
- To entice the consumer to visit the Olympus Slick website and to watch its web show.
- The creation of a new web show called Olympus Slick TV using YouTube or Vimeo: the most popular Philippine fashion bloggers each have his or her own ‘episode’ wherein they are shown using Olympus Slick to take pictures of their favourite looks, in different locations, using the camera’s available features.
- The creation of a website for the product that contains an archive of the Olympus Slick TV series as well as the bloggers’ photographs taken with Olympus Slick. It may also contain a promotional section in which the consumer can upload photographs of themselves in their best outfits wherein visitors to the page may vote for their favourite look. The look with the most votes wins an Olympus Slick camera.
- Billboard, print and television advertisements, and Facebook page and Twitter account to supplement the campaign.
- Alex is 19 years old and studies at Ateneo. She comes from a family with a middle to high household income. She is enthusiastic about fashion and likes to shop in TopShop, Zara, bazaars, Forever 21, SM Department Stores, and Multiply.ph for unusual items. Her favourite magazines are Teen Vogue, Meg, and Nylon but her main source of fashion news comes from online blogs. She has accounts on Tumblr and Chictopia.com. Her style icons are Alexa Chung and Rumi Neely. Alex and her barkada are interested in photography, particularly fashion photography and lomography. Alex does not have a DSLR but a few of her likeminded peers do. Her and her barkada enjoy frequenting student bars or places like Izakaya in Greenbelt on the weekends and sometimes go to larger clubs or bars such as 7th High. Alex likes to think of herself as ‘indie’ but is not reluctant to engage in overtly mainstream culture, hence why her favourite channel is ETC. She has always wanted to start her own style blog which would also cover music, beauty and food, but keeps putting it off.
- Olympus Slick has a large variety of effects not usually available to handheld cameras, for instance: filters that make images look vintage, ethereal (for an otherworldly effect), colour filters, a filter that replicates a slick editorial look called ‘studio’, a skin smoothening filter for close up portraits, and more. The large number of effects is an asset given the camera’s portability as having this diversity at one’s disposal would require a larger camera with a variety of lenses.
- High megapixel count.
- Aesthetically attractive. The camera casings are brightly coloured and some boast designs.
Key message/single minded proposition:
- Olympus Slick is THE camera for fashion and photography lovers.
- Your favourite bloggers think so!
- Olympus Slick’s wide variety of features and its portability allow you to take high-quality pictures wherever you are.
- Fashion and photography go hand-in-hand.
Desired brand character:
- Temperament: Upbeat, playful
- Character: An intersection between hipster/alternative and mainstream, slight vintage feel, hip and stylish
- Presence: charismatic, inviting
- Feel: As if Sofia Coppola was directing a music video. Billboards and print ads should include quirky, up to date graphic design.
- Sound: Everlasting Light by The Black Keys
- Texture: should mimic that of different types of Olympus Slick features (vintage, fisheye, sleek editorial, coloured filters, ethereal.)
- Some potential bloggers, chosen on account of their large fan base